Preparing your summer patio furniture to go into storage safely may take time, but it’s worth the time to properly clean it so it stays in good condition for the spring. We have compiled some tips and tricks to help you get your patio furniture in Lansdale, PA ready for winter storage.
Outdoor Couch and Seating
Your outdoor couch is the focal point of your outdoor living space, and it’s highly recommended to clean and protect the couch before putting it into storage. Some things to do to help clean your outdoor couch and prepare it for winter storage should include the following:
- Remove cushions and pillows to handwash. Hose down with water and use warm water and dish soap to clean, or the prescribed cleaning instructions for certain stains. Be sure to press on the cushions to dry and leave ample time to finish air drying outside!
- For non-removable cushions, hose down the furniture with water and use a cloth and household detergent to gently remove dust and dirt. Hose again and let dry.
- Once completely dry, place them in plastic bins or seal them in storage bags to protect against moisture, mold, and mildew.
Metal or wicker
- Clean frame with warm, soapy water.
- After completely drying, store inside or use protective covers for furniture stored outside during the winter.
- Wash with soap and water.
- Rub in furniture oil to protect the wood and store inside for the winter season.
Outdoor Table and Chairs
Properly cleaning and storing outdoor dining sets will help increase their lifespan, allowing you to use them for many, many summers. Some recommended tips for cleaning outdoor benches before storing them include the following:
- Rinse the entire frame with soap and water.
- Wipe and let dry completely.
- If needed, touch up with the proper touch up paint.
- Store inside or cover if leaving the furniture outside for the season. All cushions should be stored inside.
- Clean off dirt and grime with a mixture of soap and water.
- Let completely dry.
- Rub in furniture oil to protect the wood.
- Store inside during the winter months.
- Gently wipe down with a solution of water and soap.
- Let it completely dry.
- Store inside or cover the frames if they’re being left outside for the winter.
Outdoor table umbrellas or cantilevers are almost necessary for the summer months, especially if your home gets full sunlight most of the day. It is vital to take care of the fabric, as well as the frame to ensure the umbrella lasts for years before needing to be replaced. Some tips to help prepare your umbrellas for storage should include the following:
- If the brand is Treasure Garden, the fabric can be removed and put into the washing machine on a cold, gentle cycle with your detergent of choice (no bleach). DO NOT put the fabric in the dryer. Put the fabric back on the frame wet and let air dry.
- Hose down the frame with soap and water.
- Remove from the table and base, disconnect the bottom pole and put the umbrella into a protective cover. Cantilevers can be left outside with the protective cover on them.
- Store table umbrellas inside while covered. Store cantilevers outside or inside while covered.
Where to Store Patio Furniture
To help avoid damage caused by water, moisture, mold, and mildew, it is best to store your outdoor furniture in a cool, dry storage unit with good air filtration. It is also recommended you select a storage unit that offers routine pest control to prevent damage caused by critters who tend to make their way into storage units seeking shelter in the winter.
Now is the time to get your summer outdoor furniture ready for storage and prepare your patio and backyard for the winter. If you need help with your outdoor patio area, including closing your pool for the winter, contact Mt. Lake Pool and Patio. We offer pool repair and maintenance, patio assistance, and pool parts in Montgomery County, PA. Call us today and learn how we can help get your patio ready for winter.