Swimming pools are a fun addition to any home. A swim in the pool can invigorate your body or help you unwind and relax. It’s important to make sure your swimming pool is clean throughout the year. Here is the ultimate pool owner’s guide to easy pool maintenance.
Swimming pools are all about water circulation. The water in your swimming pool is always being circulated, filtered, and pumped. Several pieces contribute to good water circulation: the pump, filter, skimmer, drain, and returns. All of these parts serve different functions to ensure your pool water is circulating and staying clean. Here are several tips to keep your swimming pool circulation in good shape:
- Run the pool pump for at least 8 hours per day. This time doesn’t have to be all at once and can be divided into chunks of time. Your filtration system must run long enough to perform one turnover cycle to keep the water clean.
- Prepare to clean the filter at least once per month or when the gauge is 10psi above the normal operating level.
- Clean the skimmer basket one to two times per week. A clean skimmer and basket will help keep your pool pump working efficiently. Checking the skimmer basket once or twice a week is crucial to avoid clogging your pool.
- Angle your jets to create a circulating water flow in the pool.
Manual cleaning will always be a part of every pool owner’s schedule. Swimming pools need to be vacuumed at least once a week and brushed and skimmed daily.
- Brushing and scrubbing the walls are essential to preventing algae build-up, staining, and scaling in your pool.
- Skimming should be a regular addition to your pool maintenance. It helps to remove dirt and debris that can stain your pool floor later on.
- Vacuuming is vital to keeping your water circulation healthy without damaging your pool. Installing a pool vacuum will lessen the workload so you can enjoy your pool more!
Balance your swimming pool water through proper chemicals to prevent cloudy, green, and bacteria-infested water. You should have a trusted testing kit to maintain your pool water quality:
- Test water one to two times per week and consider shocking it at least once a week. During extreme heat, you may have to shock the pool more often.
- Check the pH balance, calcium hardness, alkalinity, chlorine, and phosphate levels to balance pool chemistry.
Contact A Professional
Pool maintenance can be time-consuming and complicated for pool owners in general. That is why partnering with a pool service company is one of the best decisions to maintain your beloved swimming pool.
Mt. Lake Pool & Patio offers pool maintenance in Doylestown, PA, and pool service in Bucks County, PA. Our goal is to maintain your swimming pools with care and proper scheduling. We know Pennsylvania weather better than any other since Mt. Lake Pool & Patio has been in business since the 1960s. For any of your swimming pool service needs, contact us at 215-348-8990 and relax in your pools worry-free.